6.04.2007

Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies

Kristen...if you have a lot of brown bananas trying using one of them for this recipe! I had this recipe on my blog, but it's worth posting here too.

Banana-Walnut Chocolate-Chunk Cookies
(Makes about 4 dozen)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I use Hershey Bars)
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or try shredded coconut if you'd like!)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flours, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl; set aside. Put butter and sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla; mix until combined. Mix in banana. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chunks, and walnuts.

2. Drop dough onto baking sheets using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop. Bake cookies until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers up to 2 days.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Those sound wonderful!!! I'll give then a try. Do you mash your bananas in a measuring cup? Or is there a secret to mashing bananas?

OurHappyFamily said...

Sound delish Skipper!!! Definitely trying those soon! Wish me luck :)

Skipper said...

I usually just throw one or two bananas into a zip-loc bag and hand them to Evan for smashing. (It seems like 2 med. bananas are JUST right for this recipe). If you dare, you could let Joselyn give it a shot...IF you dare. ;)

Kristen said...

Okay so I tried them! I was even brave enough to let Joselyn mash the bananas. But I missed up writing the recipe down I didn't have salt on the recipe (so when it said to add the salt in the directions I just guessed and put in 1/2 teaspoon). Now looking at the recipe I also had written 1 teaspoon baking soda (obviously from the "salt"). So my cookies ended up tasting GREAT, but are flatter than pancakes! Is that because of the baking soda mess up? Do you guys normally write the recipes from the blog down or is there a way to print them off?

Sunnyvale Professional Organizer said...

Great postt