4.25.2007

I'm undecided about this...

What do all of you think about this: an under-the-sink composting bin. It sounds kind of gross, and I get small goosebumps when I think about it...worms? Living under my sink?

I don't know if the picture below is too small, but it shows exactly what the bin is composed of: A Rubber Maid or Tupper Ware box (with a tight snapping lid), old, damp newspaper, red wigglers, 1 cup top soil, and food scraps...but NO meat--EVER. The best food scraps to use are soft fruits and veggies (strawberries, bell peppers, etc.), egg shells, and pasta. Meat and other protein foods, like cheese and milk, will smell. If it's done properly the compost bin should be odorless.
I've seen a few books about this, and I even found an article that I had, and yesterday I saw it put together on TV. My husband gave me a resounding NO when I told him about it. He's convinced it will draw snakes and mice in the apartment/house, since that's what happens with outdoor composts. I actually think, if it's done right, it might be a really cool thing to do. See for yourself and tell me what you think.

3 comments:

Dani said...

I read about that. It's too gross for me. I'll just stick with my compost pile in the back yard. And my disgusting recycle bins in the laundry room. Worms creep me out.

Skipper said...

Yeah. I'm pretty sure I'll never actually do it. I really can't justify digging through a bin full of worms every week just because it would help an egg shell biodegrate faster.

Kim said...

I totally agree. It's a lot of work (and creepy nightmares) for a little piece of mind. Maybe I'll take a tip from Al Gore and just do the "green card" thing. Donate money to environmental organizations to equal out the damage I do. It's so simple!