10.08.2007

Linquine with Turkey Meatballs

If I'm in the mood for Italian I turn to this recipe. Just smelling the sauce simmering on the stove makes my mouth water.

Turkey-M-1

All fairly non-threatening ingredients...

Turkey Meatballs
3 TBSP olive oil
2 oz pancetta, finely diced
1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 C freshly grated Romano cheese
1/4 C fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley
1/4 C plain bread crumbs
1/4 C chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp black pepper

Sauce and Noodles
1lb linguine
1/8 C extra-virgin olive oil
1 can whole tomatoes - cut into pieces with kitchen scissors
2 garlic cloves - smashed
1/4 C chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 can tomato paste (I know my photo shows sauce.. but use the paste)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil

To Make the Meatballs (do this first)1. Preheat oven to 450

2. Heat olive oil in a medium, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 2 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until the pancetta is crisp and the onion is tender, about 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat.

3. In a large bowl, combine the pancetta/onion mixture with the remaining meatball ingredients and stir to combine.

4. Form the turkey mixture into balls about 2 inches in diameter, using about 2 TBSP for each, and place on a foil-lined and greased baking sheet.

Turkey-M-2

5. Bake for 20 minutes

Meanwhile...6. In a medium saucepan, warm the 1/8 C of olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes (with sauce), tomato paste, smashed garlic cloves, parsley, basil, salt, and pepper and simmer...

Turkey-M-3
(this is the easiest way to chop whole tomatoes!)

Turkey-M-4
(your sauce should look like this while you're waiting for the meatballs)

7. Add the cooked meatballs and let the sauce hang out on the stove until your pasta is done cooking
Turkey-M-5
(these guys are ready to be added to the sauce)

Turkey-M-6
Then toss and serve! (you might want to discard the garlic chunks before eating)

Turkey-M-7

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow, you cease to amaze me!

McKenna Gordon said...

Well you don't cease to amaze me! hehe :) Those are GORGEOUS!

GordonandChrissy said...

I know I don't know you, but through a friend's blog I check yours every few days. And, this looks SO good! All of your recipes do, but this one just really caught my eye...and my stomach. :)

Eardley Fam said...

I found your site through a friend's blog and have told my friends all about it! I made this recipe last night and loved it!!!