10.22.2007

Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

I made this for our neighborhood chili/pie cookoff and it was a hit! It was my 3rd attempt to make a good apple pie (my favorite). This is by far the best recipe I have come across.

Crust:
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 C. Butter flavored shortening
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. water

Directions: Add shortening to flour in a bowl and cut with a fork until there are a lot of small little crumbs of flour/shortening in your bowl. This is the secret to a nice flaky crust. Add salt and mix a little bit more. Your mixture should look like this:



Add 1/4 Cup of water and smath with hands. Roll out with flour (not too much) then spread into pie crust. (The crust was super crumbly when I tried to put it in, so I just smashed it in with my hands. There was a little bit of dough left over.)

Filling:
5 Cups of apples peeled ans sliced to desired thickness (I did mine about 1/8 of an inch thick and I used Cameo apples - perfect for pies!)
1/2 C. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 squeezes of fresh lime or lemon juice (just enough to coat)

Mix in a bowl until apples are coated.

Topping:
3/4 C. Flour
1/2 C. Sugar
5-6 Tbsp. Butter

Smash with fork until crumbly (like the pie crust was.) Sprinkle on top. There will be PLENTY of topping.

Bake 10 minutes at 425, then leave the pie in and change the temperature to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes. It should be nice and golden around the edges and the filling should be gooey and bubbly.

I forgot to take a picture before it was gobbled up, but I took one while it was baking.



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Dani said...

I have been craving apple pie. Thank you.